• MAYORS’ CONCERT: The theme for the 2016 Troy Mayors’ Concert is Sonic Spectacular! and will feature the Dayton Philharmonic Concert Band and Festival Chorus. The event will begin at 7 p.m. on Prouty Plaza. Rain location is Troy Christian School Gymnasium. As in past years, handicapped parking will be available and Girl Scouts will assist with wheelchairs.
• CHICKADEE PAINTING: Paint a portrait of a chickadee from 1-4 p.m. at Brukner Nature Center for a unique fund raiser. A BNC naturalist will provide an engaging introduction to the natural history of one of the center’s woodland creatures, then Lisa Bauer of the Mayflower Arts Center will guide you as you paint. This opportunity is $35 per person, ages 13-adult, and includes refreshments and all materials including 12-inch-by12-inch canvas. Payment is due by Friday, Aug. 19 (cash or check only). All proceeds benefit the Brukner Nature Center Wildlife Ambassador program.
• DOG SOCIAL: The Miami County Park District will hold its dog social “Hero Dogs” from 1-3 p.m. at Stillwater Prairie Reserve, 9750 State Route 185, Covington. If your dog is nice and plays well with others, bring them to the park to take part in “Hero Dogs.” This month our special guests will be the Buckeye Search and Rescue Dogs. These animal heroes will demonstrate how they assist with search and rescue operations. Don’t miss this fun event. Remember owners are responsible for their dogs – please clean up after your pet. Meet at the park entrance. Register for the program by going to the program calendar at MiamiCountyParks.com, emailing email@example.com or calling (937) 335-6273, Ext. 109.
• STORYBOOK TRAIL: The Miami County Park District will hold their Storybook Trail “Fairy Houses” program from 3-5 p.m. at Stillwater Prairie Reserve, 9750 State Route 185, Covington. Join a park district naturalist in reading the storybook “Fairy Houses” along the trail. Afterwards stop by the Natural Play Area and build your own fairy house. Register for the program by going to the program calendar at MiamiCountyParks.com, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling (937) 335-6273, Ext. 109.
• BREAKFAST: Breakfast will be offered beginning at 8:30 a.m. at the Troy Fish & Game. A gun show will be offered from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• BLOCK PARTY: The Troy First United Methodist Church will host its annual block party for the community from noon to 2 p.m. The event is for the whole family and will include pizza, door prizes, games, prizes, popcorn and snow cones. The block party will be held on South Cherry Street between Franklin and Canal streets. Visit www.troyfumc.org or call the church office at 335-2826 for more information.
• BREAKFAST: The American Legion Post 586, Tipp City, will offer an all-you-can-eat breakfast from 8-11 a.m. for $6. Items available will be eggs your way, bacon, sausage, home fries, sausage gravy, biscuits, french toast, regular toast, waffles, pancakes, cinnamon rolls, juices and fruit.
• CRAFTY LISTENERS: The Crafty Listeners gather from 1-2:30 p.m. at the Milton-Union Public Library. This group of women listens to a lighthearted book while working on joint and individual craft projects. Both experienced crafters and those wanting to learn are welcome.
• BLOOD DRIVE: Piqua city employees will host a community blood drive from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Piqua City Building commission chambers, 201 W. Water St. It’s a chance to boost the summer blood supply and possibly win an Alaska vacation for two. Donors are encouraged to schedule an appointment online at www.DonorTime.com or call (800) 388-GIVE.
• TENDERLOINS: The American Legion Post 586, Tipp City, will prepare Texas-size tenderloin sandwiches with fries and toppings for $5 starting at 6 p.m.
• LIFETREE: The potential impact of living out the Golden Rule will be explored at Lifetree Cafe at 7 p.m. inside St John’s United Church of Christ, 130 S. Walnut St., Troy. Use the Canal Street door for entrance to the cafe and the Walnut Street ramp for the handicapped entrance. The program, titled “Give Me a Break! Living a Grace-Filled Life,” features conversations surrounding the giving and receiving of breaks in life. For more information, contact Pat Robinson at email@example.com or 405-7375.
• OPEN HOUSE: Newton Local Schools would like to invite students, parents, grandparents, and friends to come visit the facility at the annual open house from 5:30-7 p.m. This will be an opportunity to meet the teachers as well as become acquainted with the school’s facilities.
• OPTIMISTS MEET: The Troy Noon Optimist Club will meet at noon at LaPiazza.
• CENTER OPEN: The Pleasant Hill History Center, 8 E. Monument St., Pleasant Hill, is open from 3-7 p.m.
• TOASTMASTERS: The Miami County Toastmasters will meet from 7-8 p.m. the 2nd and 4th Mondays at the Troy-Hayner Cultural Center, 301 W. Main St., Troy. Those interested in improving communication and leadership skills are welcome to attend.
• TOPS: The T.O.P.S. (Taking Off Pounds Sensibly) Club meets at 5:45 p.m. at the Zion Lutheran Church, Main and 3rd streets, Tipp City. For more information, call (937) 332-9251.
• Tipp City Board of Education will meet at 6:30 p.m. at the board office, 90 S. Tippecanoe Drive. Call 667-8444 for more information.
• The Covington Street Committee will meet immediately following the regular council meeting.
• Brown Township Board of Trustees will meet at 8 p.m. in the Township Building in Conover.
• The Union Township Trustees will meet at 1:30 p.m. in the Township Building, 9497 Markley Road, P.O. Box E, Laura. Call 698-4480 for more information.
• TINY TOTS: Tiny Tots meet from 11-11:30 a.m. at the Milton-Union Public Library in West Milton. This is an interactive opportunity for children from birth to 3 years old and their caretakers to hear stories, play games, sing songs, and do other activities with children’s librarian Wendy Heisey.
• CRAFTS: Tipp City Seniors members and guests will work on crafts and quilting beginning at 9 a.m. 320 S. First St., Tipp City.
• BOARD MEETING: The Miami County Park District will hold its board of commissioners meeting at 9 a.m. A work session will begin at 8 a.m. The meeting will be at Lost Creek Reserve located at 2645 E. State Route, east of Troy. For more information, contact the Miami County Park District at 335-6273.
• BARBERSHOP MEETING: The Miami Shelby Chapter of the Barbershop Harmony Society meets every Tuesday at 7 p.m. at the Greene Street UMC, 415 W. Greene St., Piqua. All men interested in singing are welcome and visitors are always welcome. For more information, call (937) 778 1586 or visit www.melodymenchorus.org.
• The village of West Milton Council will have its workshop meeting at 7 p.m. in the council chambers.
• KIWANIS MEETING: The Piqua Kiwanis will meet at noon at The Bistro Room, 1876 Commerce Drive, Piqua. Dr. Doreen Lawson, president of Edison Community College, will speak. For more information, call Brian Phillips at 778-158 or visit www.freewebs.com/piquakiwanis/.
• KIWANIS: The Kiwanis Club of Troy will not be meeting for lunch as they usually do, however, they will be meeting for their annual picnic at Troy Community Park at 6 p.m.
• STORY TIME: The weather theme continues with “Pufferfish” at the Milton-Union Public Library’s Story Time this week. Children’s librarian Wendy Heisey hosts two sessions, one at 10:30 a.m. and one at 1:30 p.m. Stories, crafts, games and puppet shows are included in the activities for preschool children and their caretakers.
• LINE DANCING: The Tipp City Seniors members and guests will have line dancing at 9 a.m. at 320 S. First St., Tipp City.
• SLIDERS: Come to the American Legion Post 586, Tipp City, for John’s sliders, two for $2, with chips and toppings, starting at 6 p.m.
• COUPON CLUB: The St. James Coupon Club will meet every week from 6-8 p.m. at St. James Episcopal Church, 200 W. High St., Piqua. Come, bring a friend, bring your coupons to work on, to share and trade, or just bring yourself if you are just getting started. For questions, call 773-1241.
• STAUNTON ALUMNI: The Staunton School alumni will meet at 11:30 a.m. on the second Wednesday at Frisch’s restaurant in Troy.
• AG BANQUET: The 12th annual All Agricultural Meeting and Banquet, sponsored by the Miami County Farm Bureau, OSU-Extension Miami County, Miami County Ag Society, USDA, NRCS and FSA, will begin at 5:30 p.m. with a social at Miami East High School, 4025 N. State Route 589, Casstown. Doug Christian, retired Miami County engineer, will be the guest speaker, focusing on bridges and the towns and communities lost to time. Call 335-7645 for a reservation, which is $10.
• PLANNING MEETING: As Fort Rowdy organizers prepare for the 24th Gathering, they will hold weekly meetings every Thursday until Labor Day weekend. The meetings will begin at 7:30 p.m. at the Covington City Building.
• BOARD MEETING: The Tipp City Seniors Board of Trustees will meet at 10 a.m. at 320 S. First St., Tipp City.
• CARRY-IN: The Tipp City Seniors members and guests will have a carry-in luncheon at noon at 320 S. First St., Tipp City.
• UNION GUARDS: The Union Guards Company A 19th Regiment will be at the Mountaintop VFW Post 6557, 7578 W. Fenner Road, Ludlow Falls, Saturday competition will begin at 8 a.m. and end at 5:30 p.m. Sunday a Musket Company Match will be at 8:30 a.m. Come see the excitement of the Civil War. Hamburgers are available on the range from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday.
• TACO SALAD: The American Legion Auxiliary Unit 586, Tipp City, will serve taco salad for $4, and cookies two for 50 cents, starting at 6 p.m. Euchre starts at 7 p.m. for $5.
• BOARD MEETING: The Miami County Park District Board of Commissioners will be touring the county parks beginning at 9 a.m. For more information, contact the Miami County Park District at 335-6273.
• LUNCH ON THE LAWN: The Miami County Cattleman’s Association will offer Lunch on the Lawn from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on the Miami Courthouse lawn, Troy. Meals will be $6 for a sirloin sandwich or $8 for a ribeye sandwich, and also includes chips, cookie, pop or bottled water.
• SEAFOOD DINNER: The Pleasant Hill VFW Post 6557, 7578 W. Fenner Road, Ludlow Falls, a three-piece fried fish dinner, 21-piece fried shrimp, or a fish/shrimp combo with French fries and coleslaw for $7 from 6-7:30 p.m. Frog legs, when available, are $10.
• PIZZA NIGHT: Pizza night will be offered beginning at 6 p.m. at the Troy Fish & Game.
• BAKED SPAGHETTI: The American Legion Riders, Post 586, Tipp City, will prepare baked spaghetti, salad and garlic bread for $8 starting at 6 p.m.
• LUNCH AND LEARN: Have lunch and learn about sustainable retirements from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Piqua YMCA, sponsored by StroyPoint, a senior living community coming to Troy. The guest presenter will be Steve Temple from the Ohio Financial Center; he will be addressing topics such as: changes within social security, retirement toolkits, creating sustainable retirement income, major consumer concerns expressed, life expectancy and market commentary. Call Kristy Osting at (937) 541-5182 to make a reservation.
• CONCERT ON LAWN: The Troy-Hayner Cultural Center will celebrate its 40th anniversary at 7:30 p.m. with a concert on the lawn at 301 W. Main St. The free concert will feature the Columbus based band, CAAMP. This band is an indie-folk band with musical influences such as Ray LaMontange, Justin Vernon and Trampled by Turtles. Details at www.TroyHayner.org.
• STEAK FRY: The Pleasant Hill VFW Post 6557, 7578 W. Fenner Road, Ludlow Falls, will offer a T-bone steak dinner with salad, baked potato and a roll for $13 from 5-8 p.m.
• STORYBOOK TRAIL: The Miami County Park District will hold their Storybook Trail “Fairy Houses” program from 1-4 p.m. at Charleston Falls Preserve, 2535 Ross Road, south of Tipp City. Join a park district naturalist in reading the storybook “The Other Way to Listen” along the trail. Register for the program by going to the program calendar at MiamiCountyParks.com, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling (937) 335-6273, Ext. 109.
• MUSIC IN PARK: The Miami County Park District will hold its Music in the Park “Heartbeat of the Earth” program from 1-4 p.m. at Charleston Falls Preserve, 2535 Ross Road, south of Tipp City. Participants are invited to listen to the sound of music and nature. Register for the program by going to the program calendar at MiamiCountyParks.com, emailing email@example.com or calling (937) 335-6273, Ext. 109.
• CAMPFIRE: The Miami County Park District will hold its “Summer Moth Party” Campfire from 8:30-10 p.m. at Charleston Falls Preserve, 2535 Ross Rd. south of Tipp City. Join park district naturalist Accipiter Amalee after sundown to discover some of the most gorgeous nighttime critters, moths. Black lighting and sugar baiting to lure in these beautiful creatures. There will also be snacks and a campfire. Register for the program by going to the program calendar at MiamiCountyParks.com, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling (937) 335-6273, Ext. 109.
• CORNHOLE: A cornhole tournament will begin at 6 p.m. at the Troy Fish & Game.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU