• KIWANIS: The Piqua Kiwanis Club will meet at noon at Grace Methodist Church, 9411 N. County Road 25-A, Piqua. Kimberly Walker, bereavement coordinator with Ohio Hospice of Miami County, will speak on this year’s Camp Courageous. Reservations are required by noon on the Monday prior to each meeting. For more information, call Brian Phillips at 778-1586 or visit www.freewebs.com/piquakiwanis/.
• STORY TIME: Children kindergarten through sixth grade and parents are invited to enjoy stories, crafts, and a puppet show at 10:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. at the Milton-Union Public Library.
• KIWANIS: The Kiwanis Club of Troy will host their annual picnic at Troy Community Park at 6 p.m.
• AG MEETING: The 13th annual All Agricultural Meeting & Banquet will be held at the Duke Lundgard Building at the Miami County Fairgrounds. Tickets are $5 prior to Aug. 18 and $10 at the door or after. Children 12 and under eat free and will enjoy pizza and games with Miami East FFA students. Meet the candidates, Miami SWCD voting and a silent auction and displays will be from 5:30-7 p.m. A catered meal by Lyons Catering will begin at 6:30 p.m. A guest speaker will talk from 7-7:30 p.m. and program and agency highlights will be from 7:30-8:30 p.m. For tickets, call Betsy at the farm bureau at 335-1471 or Kristin at Miami SWCD at 335-7645.
• LINE DANCING: The Tipp City Seniors will offer line dancing at 10 a.m. at 320 S. First St., Tipp City.
• I CAN RUN: The Miami County Park District will hold the new “I Can Run” program from 5:30-7 p.m. at Charleston Falls Preserve, 2535 Ross Rd. south of Tipp City. Beginning runners will join a park district naturalist every Monday and Wednesday evening on a journey from non-runner to “I Can Run” over this multi week program. Class fee for the series is $5. Preregistration required. Preregister for by going to the program calendar at MiamiCountyParks.com, emailing email@example.com or calling (937) 335-6273, Ext. 109.
• SLIDERS: The Tipp City American Legion Post 586 will offer sliders at 6 p.m. Two sliders with toppings and chips for $2.
• BOARD MEETING: Edison State Community College’s Board of Trustees will meetfor their annual strategic planning retreat from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. No action will be taken during the retreat, and there will be no August 2017 board of trustees meeting. The retreat will be held at the Canal Lake Lodge, 1502 Lindsey Road, Sidney.
• LUNCHEON: The Tipp City Seniors will have blood pressure checks at 11 a.m. followed by a carry-in luncheon at noon at 320 S. First St., Tipp City. Entertainment will be the Liars Club.
• BLUEGRASS: The Friends of the Piqua Public Library will provide a “bonus” event this summer, a concert by the popular bluegrass band, The Rock Island Plow Company, at 7 p.m. in the lobby of the Piqua Public Library. The concert is free and open to the public, but seating is limited, so free tickets will be required for admittance. Tickets can be picked up at the front desk of the library beginning Aug. 21.
• HOME SCHOOL: The Bradford Public Library will offer an overview of the home school resource available at the library at 6:30 p.m. The event will last for about one hour. Home schooling parents are being sought to offer suggestions and recommendations so that the library can serve your needs in an informed manner. Bradford Public Library also has access to Miami/Troy Public Library and all of DaytonMetro Library holdings. Books and materials can be ordered online and picked up at the Bradford Public Library. This meeting is specifically to address home schooling needs and requirements. Contact the library at (937) 448-2612 to sign up. Refreshments will be served.
• TACO SALAD: Taco salad will be offered at the Tipp City American Legion Post 586. Serving starts at 6 p.m. for $5. Stay and try your luck at euchre starting at 7 p.m. for $5.
• SOUTHVIEW: The Southview Neighborhood Association will meet at 7 p.m. at the Mote Park Community Center. Anyone who lives or works or owns a business in the Southview area is welcome to attend. Items on the agenda will include discussions on the Mote Park building projects and Halloween activities, among other topics. For more information, contact Jim Vetter, president, at 778-1696.
RUMMAGE SALE: Apostolic Church of Jesus Christ, 1624 N. County Road 25-A, Troy, will have a rummage
• BREAKFAST: Enjoy a full breakfast open to the public at the Tipp City American Legion Post 586. Serving is 8-11 a.m. Cost is $7 adults, and $3 children under 10. sale from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. The last two hours on Saturday will be a bag of items for $2.
• TRUCK SHOW: The 28th IH Scout and All Truck Nationals 2017 will be held from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at WACO Airfield and Museum, 1865 S. County Road 25-A, Troy. A swap meet, guest speaker seminars, displays and WACO airplane rides all will be part of the weekend’s events. For more, see www.wacoairmuseum.org or call (937) 335-9226.
• LUNCH ON THE LAWN: The Miami County Cattlemen’s Association will offer Lunch on the Lawn from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Miami County Courthouse in Troy. Cost is $6 for sirloin sandwich lunch and $8 for a ribeye sandwich lunch. Lunches also include chips, cookie, soda or bottled water. No reservations necessary.
• SEAFOOD DINNER: The Pleasant Hill VFW Post 6557, 7578 W. Fenner Road, Ludlow Falls, will offer a three-piece fried fish, 21-piece fried shrimp, or a fish/shrimp combo with french fries and coleslaw for $7 and up, from 6-7:30 p.m. Frog legs will be $10.
• BINGO: The Piqua YMCA Senior Center will offer bingo at 10 a.m. at Heartland of Piqua.
• JOB HELP: Get help finding a job, learn how to create a resume, and practice interviewing skills at an employment workshop hosted by Goodwill Easter Seals from 2-3 p.m. at the Milton-Union Public Library.
• COMPUTER Q&A: A local expert will be offering 30-minute help sessions from 9:30 a.m. to noon for those who need help with their computers. Bring your own laptop if you can, but library laptops will be available if you are not able to bring your own. Sign-ups are required, so call the library at (937) 698-5515 or ask at the front desk.
• PIZZA: The Troy Fish & Game will offer pizza night beginning at 6 p.m.
• NIGHT HIKE: The Miami County Park District will hold its Discovery Night Hike program at 8 p.m. at Lost Creek Reserve, 2385 E. State Route 41, east of Troy. Join a park district naturalist and explore the amazing world of nature at night. Dress for the weather with sturdy walking shoes. Walk will vary from .5 to 1 mile. Bring a flashlight. Register for the program by going to the program calendar at MiamiCountyParks.com, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling (937) 335-6273, Ext. 109.
• STROGANOFF AND SALAD: Beef stroganoff, salad, and dessert will be served at 6 p.m. for $8 at the Tipp City American Legion Post 586.
• CIVIL WAR: The Union Guards Company A 19th Regiment will be at the Mountaintop VFW Post 6557, 7578 W. Fenner Road, Ludlow Falls. Saturday competition will begin at 8 a.m. and ends at 5:30 p.m. Sunday a Musket Company Match will begin at 8:30 a.m. Come see the Civil War reenacted. Hamburgers are available on the range 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday.
• LEGO: Build with LEGO at the Milton-Union Public Library from 2-3 p.m. Each meeting will have a theme as well as free style building. All ages are welcome.
• FARMERS MARKET: The Miami County Farmers Market will be offered from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Troy Lowe’s parking lot. Fruits, vegetables, honey, bedding plants and more will be offered.
• FARMERS MARKET: The Downtown Troy Farmers Market will be open from 9 a.m. to noon on Cherry Street. The market will include in-season fruits and vegetables, cottage foods, plants, artisans and crafters and more.
• STEAK FRY: The Pleasant Hill VFW Post 6557, 7578 W. Fenner Road, Ludlow Falls, will offer a T-Bone Steak with salad, baked potato and a roll for $15 from 5-8 p.m.
• WILD ART: Brukner Nature Center staff will offer a painting fundraiser from 1-4 p.m., painting a portrait of a monarch butterfly on a 16-inch-by-20-inch canvas. A BNC naturalist will provide an introduction to the natural history of these magnificent migrants. Lisa Bauer of the Mayflower Arts Center will guide you as you paint. The fee is $35 per person, (high school -adult), and includes refreshments and all materials. Deadline for registration and payment is Saturday, Aug. 26 (cash or check only). All proceeds benefit the Brukner Nature Center Wildlife Ambassador program.
• PLAY DATE: The Miami County Park District will hold its Nature Play Date program from 2-3 p.m. at Stillwater Prairie Reserve, 9750 State Route 185 in Covington. Bring your elementary school age child to the natural play area for fun and games with park district naturalist Accipiter Amalee. Register for the program by sending an email to email@example.com, going to the program calendar at www.MiamiCountyParks.com or calling (937) 335-6273, Ext. 109. Credit card payments are now accepted online at time of registration.
• MUSIC IN THE PARK: The Miami County Park District will hold its Music in the Park “Flutes at the Falls” program from 3-4 p.m. at Charleston Falls Preserve, 2535 Ross Road, south of Tipp City. Participants are invited to listen to the sound of music and nature. Register for the program by going to the program calendar at MiamiCountyParks.com, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling (937) 335-6273, Ext. 109.
• STORYBOOK TRAIL: The Miami County Park District will hold the Storybook Trail “Zoo in the Sky” program from 9-11 p.m. at Charleston Falls Preserve, 2535 Ross Road, south of Tipp City. Bring your child to the park to read a storybook along the trail. The program is designed to get children outside and connecting with nature while keeping up on their reading skills. Ask the local library about more nature books and the Storybook Trail. Preregister for the program by going to the program calendar at MiamiCountyParks.com, emailing email@example.com or calling (937) 335-6273, Ext. 109.
• CRUISE IN: The Miami Valley Kruzers will offer a cruise-in at the A.B. Graham Memorial Center from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Registration will be from 10 a.m. to noon. All collector vehicles welcome. Vintage tractors and stationary engines. Shaded grounds, food concession, family fun and door prizes. Swap meet and garage sales spaces available and the museum will be open. Visit abgraham.org for more information.
• WOMEN’S DAY: Celebrate Women’s Equality Day on Saturday at 11 a.m. at the Oakes-Beitman Memorial Library, 12 N. Main St., Pleasant Hill. This program is for children, teens and adults of all ages. For more information, call (937) 676-2731.
• CRUISE-IN: Old Tippecanoe will host the 21st Annual Trans Am Nationals Cruise-In from 5-9 p.m. n the Old Tippecanoe Historic District in downtown Tipp City, with free admission. Owners of Firebirds, Formulas, Firehawks, Trans Ams, and GTA’s urged to enter. Registration cost for car entries is $10. Registration is at Monroe Federal Bank, 24 E. Main St., from 5-7 p.m. Other activities include shopping, a 50/50 raffle, and a DJ providing music at Third and Main streets. For more information, call Cheryl (Trans Am Club) at (513) 305-7454 or Steve (Downtown Tipp City) at (937) 667-3696.
• KARAOKE: Karaoke will begin at 7 p.m. Come in and share your singing talents at the Tipp City American Legion Post 586.
• ADVENTURE SERIES: The Miami County Park District will hold its Naturalist Adventure Series “The Friendly Snake” from 1-4 p.m. at Charleston Falls Preserve, 2535 Ross Road, south of Tipp City. Drop by and learn all about snakes. Meet “Checkers” a real live friendly snake! A roving naturalist will be on-site to answer questions and facilitate activity. Register for the program by going to the program calendar at MiamiCountyParks.com, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling (937) 335-6273, Ext. 109.
• WILD ART: Join Brukner Nature Center staff for a fundraising event from 1-4 p.m., as staff help you paint a portrait of a monarch butterfly on a 16-inch-by-20-inch canvas. A BNC naturalist will provide an introduction to the natural history of these magnificent migrants, including ways to attract butterflies to your own backyard. Lisa Bauer of the Mayflower Arts Center will guide you as you paint. This opportunity is just $35 per person, (high school to adult), and includes refreshments and all materials. Deadline for registration and payment is Saturday, Aug. 26 by 5 p.m. (cash or check only). All proceeds benefit the Brukner Nature Center Wildlife Ambassador program.
• BREAKFAST: The Tipp City American Legion Post 586 will offer breakfast for $7 adults and $3 for children under 10. Open to the public, with serving from 8-11 a.m.
• LUNCH: St. James Episcopal Church, 200 W. High St., Piqua, will host its last Lunch with God from 12:30-2 p.m.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU