• HIGH NOONERS: In “Fortunate Son” by Walter Mosley, black Tommy and white Eric are joined by their respective parents’ meeting at Tommy’s hospital bed. As boys they’re inseparable, but the older they become, the more life pushes them apart. Join the book discussion ladies of “High Nooners” for this literary look at friendship and family from noon to 1:30 p.m. in the Milton-Union Public Library.
• FORGWATCH: The Miami County Park District will hold its FrogWatch program at 9 p.m. at Stillwater Prairie Reserve, 9750 State Route 185, Covington. Put on your citizen scientist hat and join a park district naturalist on a hike in search of local toads and frogs. Learn to identify the different amphibians by their unique calls. Information gathered will be added to the FrogWatch database and used to help develop practical strategies for the conservation of these important species. FrogWatch USA, is a program of the U.S. Association of Zoos and Aquariums. Register for the program by going to the program calendar at MiamiCountyParks.com, e-mailing email@example.com or calling (937) 335-6273, Ext. 109.
• STAR WARS: Join staff for a matinee movie showing “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” at noon at the Oakes-Beitman Memorial Library, 12 N. Main St., Pleasant Hill. The movie is rated PG-13 and runs for 2 hours and 15 minutes. Popcorn is provided. For more information, call (937) 676-2731.
• BIRDS & BLOOMS: The Miami County Park District will hold its Preschool in the Park “Birds & Blooms” program from 11 a.m. to noon at Lost Creek Reserve, 2385 E. State Route 41, east of Troy. Join park district naturalist Gecko Jody as she leads the group in play, a craft and toddler sized hike. Read a book together and then head out onto the trail to discover the many colorful wildflowers and birds. Children will use color swatches and binoculars to help them along the way. There is a $3 class fee due at the time of registration. Class size limited to 12, class minimum is four. Must be registered to attend. Register for the program by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, going to the program calendar at www.MiamiCountyParks.com or calling (937) 335-6273, Ext. 109. Credit card payments are now accepted online at time of registration.
• CHICKADEE PAINTING: Brukner Nature Center will offer the community the chance to paint a portrait of a chickadee from 1-4 p.m. A BNC Naturalist will provide an introduction to the natural history of the woodland creatures, then Lisa Bauer of the Mayflower Arts Center will guide painters. This opportunity is $35 per person, ages 13 to adult, and includes refreshments and all materials including 12-by-12-inch canvas. All proceeds benefit the Brukner Nature Center Wildlife Ambassador program.
• STORYBOOK TRAIL: The Miami County Park District will host the storybook trail program “Dinner Party for the Birds” from 1-3 p.m. at Charleston Falls Preserve, 2535 Ross Rd. south of Tipp City. Drop by and read this book written by John De Boer and illustrated by Susan Nelson. The storybook is set up along the trail for participants to read. Dinner Party for the Birds helps to teach how to identify the different birds by their sounds. Drop in anytime during the program. More information can be found on the park district website MiamiCountyParks.com.
• BOOK CLUB: Join staff for a lively discussion at the Troy-Miami County Public Library’s adult book club at 6:30 p.m.. Staff will be reading and discussing “A Bitter Truth” by Charles Todd for the month of May. The Book Lovers Anonymous Book Club usually meets at 6:30 p.m. on the fourth Monday of the month; we read a variety of fiction and nonfiction titles. For more information, call 339-0502, Ext. 120, or visit our website at www.tmcpl.org.
• COME UNWIND: Join staff at the Oakes-Beitman Memorial Library in Pleasant Hill as they unwind from our busy lives and just color. If you’re stressed, try this latest trend for stress relief at the Pleasant Hill library, 12 N. Main St., Pleasant Hill, from 6:30-7:30 p.m. The library will supply the cocoa and all of the art supplies. For more information, call the Oakes-Beitman Memorial Library in Pleasant Hill at 937-676-2731. The Oakes-Beitman Memorial Library is located at 12 North Main Street in Pleasant Hill, OH.
• COUPON CLUB: The St. James Coupon Club will meet from 6-8 p.m. at St. James Episcopal Church, 200 W. High St., Piqua. Come, bring a friend, bring your coupons to work on, to share and trade, or just bring yourself if you are just getting started. For questions, call 773-1241.