By Jim Painter
For the Troy Daily News
TROY — One of the most storied religious structures locally is celebrating its 100th anniversary in November. Construction of the St. Patrick Catholic Church took the effort of many people to become a long recognized site in Troy.
According to information at the Troy Local History Library, the first church was constructed in 1858 at a cost of $402.38 on the corner of Crawford and Water Streets. In 1888, the church received its first pastor, the Rev. F.H. Menke.
It was on St. Patrick’s Day in 1906 when a 28-year-old priest, Anthony Mentink, arrived for a temporary assignment. He stayed for 52 years and inspired parishioners to construct the church building still used today.
Mentink asked for “a penny a day” from church members. The total cost of the church was estimated to be nearly $49,000. The congregation raised most of the money themselves.
On Feb. 16, 1916, church officials agreed to enter into a contract with the A.F. Wasielewski Co. of Minneapolis for $7,000 to finish constructing the church and rectory.
The agreement was for the church to pay $200 in advance; then $100 per week for 32 weeks once work began. Once the project was complete and satisfactory, church officials were to pay $2,000 without interest within the next two years.
The exterior of the church is 125 feet, it’s 48 feet wide and the tallest gable is at 51 feet. The church was enlarged in 1883, with improvements made in 1903.
It was noted that 10 stained glass windows ere preserved from the old church. Another 16 new windows were installed. Together, the three main windows represent Faith, Hope and Charity, and the other seven sacraments.
In 1888, the first St. Patrick Catholic School was built. The construction occurred without additional debt. The current school was constructed in 1953, funded by Christmas collections and a war bond drive.
Standing next to the church, the first school consisted of two classrooms housing 50 students for eight grade levels. It also housed an apartment for the first nun assigned to St. Patrick’s
The St. Patrick Parish Center was erected in 1999 on the corner of Water and New streets. It contains a gymnasium, meeting room, religious education, classrooms, social area and a cafeteria. The $1.48 million construction was managed through congregational pledges.
A 100-year-old handmade quilt, photographed here, is on display at the church’s parish center located at 409 E. Main St. The quilt was raffled 100 years ago to help pay for the new church building and rediscovered in 1972. It remains at the facility today. A new quilt, featuring the Ohio Star with scarlet and gray material, will be raffled in November. The quilt is currently on display at Around About Books, 8 W. Main St., in Troy.
Reach Jim Painter at email@example.com