Parent addresses Troy BOE in regards to bomb threats


Parent questions events surrounding the district’s notification of Nov. 10 bomb threat found at THS

By Melanie Yingst - myingst@aimmediamidwest.com



TROY — A parent addressed the Troy City Schools board of education on how the administration handled last week’s string of bomb threats at its meeting on Monday.

Parent Bryan Kemper said he was on the Troy High School campus on Sunday, Nov. 12 for a football tournament hours before he received a One Call Now to close the campus due to a message found at the high school on Nov. 10 in a restroom.

The message was written on the high school boys bathroom and closed classes for the building as well as the junior high on Nov. 13. No bomb or other materials were found on the campus. The Troy Police Department is still working to locate the student responsible for that matter.

Troy City Schools administration closed the high school and junior high late Sunday evening to allow law enforcement to check for threats with bomb-sniffing dogs from the Dayton Airport and Wright-Patterson’s assistance on the morning of Nov. 13.

Kemper said he wanted to know who made the decision “to put my children in possible danger.” Kemper said he had an issue with the “bomb threat that was so credible that our kids don’t go to school on Monday morning, yet my children are allowed to come to events on this school grounds (Sunday), I want to know why.”

Superintendent Eric Herman said, “The responsibility rests with me.”

Kemper again asked, “Then why did you put my children in danger.”

“I did not put your children in danger,” Herman said.

Herman later said the school was swept Monday morning because “we were concerned what could have been brought in on the weekend.”

President Doug Trostle said the threat was specific to a time, which Kemper responded with “so we now trust terrorists and what time they are going to blow things up? They are going to give us an exact time? Really?”

Kemper also said he had an issue with the timing due to law enforcement conducting the bomb threat sweep at the same time the note indicated.

“If you really thought it was a danger you would have done it before that to make sure no one was hurt,” Kemper said.

President Trostle responded by stating, “I don’t think we are giving you a response, one, that you’d find acceptable. I think we stand behind the administration and the leadership of our school in consultation of our law enforcement.”

Kemper said he spoke with local law enforcement who told him to address the board.

“I stand behind what action was taken,” Trostle said.

Prior to the exchange, Kemper said he was happy to live in the Heywood Elementary School district and said the Troy City Schools had an asset in Principal Maurice Sadler. Kemper also said he believed Troy voters liked their neighborhood schools and hoped the board would not place another levy on the ballot for new elementary buildings. The bond issue to build two new buildings for K-6 students was defeated on Nov. 7.

The board adjourned to executive session at 6 p.m. to discuss property and did not plan on taking any action when they reconvened.

Parent questions events surrounding the district’s notification of Nov. 10 bomb threat found at THS

By Melanie Yingst

myingst@aimmediamidwest.com