TROY — Officials at Health Partners Free Clinic, Miami County’s lone free medical center, participated in the National Health Center Week. The weeklong, nationwide recognition effort is a program spearheaded by the National Association of Community Centers (NACHC) of Bethesda, Md.
Plus, a six-month report recently released by clinic officials show the clinic is expected to exceed last year’s totals, and that primary care has been provided to 911 patients. Also, nearly 9,500 prescriptions have been provided to county residents who qualify for their services.
NACHC leaders said, “National Health Center Week provides an ideal occasion to celebrate the long record of success and delivery of high quality, cost effective, and accessible care across the nation. It is a great opportunity for health centers to speak out telling the story of their community-based model of care and creating public awareness of what they do and how they do it.”
Justin Coby, executive director of HPFC, said the goals of the initiative are to enhance the visibility and profile of the clinic; and to generate community pride and build support. Coby said the success of the clinic is directly tied to the dedication of staff, volunteers, and community member supporters, throughout Miami County.
“With the addition of a full-time nurse practitioner, expanded clinic hours, and the transition into the Affordable Care Act, 2014 has been quite the dynamic year for us. As we take a moment to reflect upon and analyze our service numbers, we know that none of this would have been possible without the support of our local donors, supporting foundations and United Way partners,” Coby said.
Recently, the director released a statistical review of HPFC’s first half of the year. The reported data is through July 31.
• The direct medical care is provided through the assistance of volunteer physicians and full-time/part-time nurse practitioners. This care is to treat our chronic care patients (long term illnesses such as high blood pressure and diabetes) and walk-in clinic times, where we offer acute care (short illnesses such as a sore throat). So far, the clinic has cared for 911 unique patients.
• Nursing visits are scheduled weekly visits. These visits allow patient to follow-up on chronic therapy, and/or an opportunity to evaluate the effectiveness of current therapy. To date, we have been able to provide 188 nursing visits to our patients.
• Diagnostic and lab testing initiated by Health Partners has provided 1,932 blood work tests, X-rays and other necessary tests such as carotid or venous studies to our patients at no cost.
• Prescription medications are a critical component of our patients’ health care. Health Partners has been able to provide 9,442 prescription medications so far this year, at a value of over $1.4 million.
• Direct Hospital Referral is a more streamed-line referral system for uninsured and under-insured patients originally seen by the local hospital, Upper Valley Medical Center (as in- or out-patient), and in need of follow-up care within seven days. Through the first six months, the Clinic has provided 82 primary care visits, five social service consults, seven nursing clinic appointments, and 36 phlebotomy visits to these patients referred directly from UVMC. In total, these services are valued at nearly $30,000, and delivered to the patient at no cost.
• Social service consults provide patients a social worker to speak with each Thursday night to direct them to local services they may need. This year to date, we have been able to provide 129 social service consults.
Coby said, “The report’s outcome results are valued at more than $2 million, and at this pace we are set to surpass last year’s figure of nearly $3.3 million in services and medication. This is an $8.36 value of medical services provided to our patients for every $1 we spend.
“It takes everyone to make Health Partners a success, and a vital and much-needed resource for Miami County,” Coby said.
Health Partners Free Clinic is located at 1300 N. County Road 25-A in Troy, and can be found on their website at www.healthpartnersclinic.org. The phone number is (937) 332-0894.