TROY — Members of the city’s parks and recreation committee approved to move forward to sell 38-acres of floodplain land from the property known as the Huelskamp farm to the Miami County Park District.
Committee chair Brock Heath and Doug Tremblay approved the recommendation on Wednesday. The recommendation will authorized the director of public service and safety to enter into a purchase option agreement with the county park district. Since the agreement is between government agencies, the bid process does not apply.
According to Miami County Park District Executive Director Scott Meyers, the park district has applied for a Clean Ohio grant for approximately $270,000 or $7,100 per acre for the floodplain area along the Miami River.
As part of the grant, the park district must match 25 percent of the funds to purchase the land. Meyers said the Clean Ohio grant funds have helped with Hobart Urban Nature Preserve, Lostcreek Reserve and Farrington Reserve projects in the past.
The 38-acre land is heavily wooded and is located in the floodplain. At this time, the land is limited in its use for activity such as various trails due to its location, Meyers said.
Plans include to clear the area from invasive honeysuckle and create a stream-side buffer for river protection, Meyers said.
Titterington said the land would not be viable for the ball fields as part of the expansion of Paul G. Duke Park. Last summer, the city purchased 118-acre Huelskamp Farm adjacent to the Duke Park for $1.5 million.
Last month, the Paul G. Duke Foundation approved a $300,000 grant and the Robinson Fund also pledged $300,000 for the park expansion project.
The recommendation includes emergency legislation due to the application deadline and the grant cycle which will be announced in the first few months of 2016.
Council member Bobby Phillips asked if the land would still need to be annexed into the city since the county park district plans to buy it. Titterington said the land would still be included in the city’s annexation.
Chairman Brock Heath asked if a fence would be need to create a boundary between the parks, which Titterington said was not necessary.
The city’s portion of the new park area is currently being studied by MSA Sports consulting group. The study was approved by council earlier in the year for $32,000.
The study includes renderings and cost estimates related to future ballfield complex, including parking, concessions, groups of ballfields, inter-connectivity to existing Duke Park, and utility extensions.
In other news:
-The parks and recreation committee also approved to move forward with the recommendation to authorize the Troy Recreation Board to advertise for bids and enter into a contract for the concession operations for the little league football area and softball fields at the Paul G. Duke Park.
-The buildings committee approved to provide a positive recommendation to increase the authorization for the city’s portion of the façade improvement project at 121 Public Square at a cost not to exceed $70,000.
Council originally approved a CDBG project for $65,000. The lowest bid was from Becker Construction Inc. of Dayton at $67,245. According to the report, the Ohio Development Services Agency’s Office of Community Development will allow reassignment of up to $5,000 of the CDBG funds to accommodate the additional cost. No funds will be needed from the general fund or from other non-CDBG sources. Emergency legislation was requested so a contract can be awarded to the lowest bidder and for work to commence.
Reach Melanie Yingst at firstname.lastname@example.org or follow her on Twitter @Troydailynews