State briefs


Irish novelist wins literary peace award

CINCINNATI (AP) — Irish novelist, journalist and essayist Colm Toibin is this year’s winner of a lifetime achievement award that celebrates the power of literature to foster peace, social justice and global understanding, organizers announced Thursday.

Dayton Literary Peace Prize officials named Toibin, whose wide range of work has drawn from his native Ireland, his life as a gay man and his travels as an international journalist, for the Richard C. Holbrooke Distinguished Achievement Award. It’s named for the late U.S. diplomat who brokered the 1995 Bosnia peace accords reached in Ohio.

Among his novels are “The Master,” depicting the life of the famed writer Henry James; “Brooklyn,” a coming-of-age story about an Irish immigrant later made into an Oscar-nominated film, and the recent “House of Names,” his reimagining of a Greek tragedy.

Dayton Literary Peace Prize Foundation co-chair Sharon Rab said Toibin’s writings “remind us of shared humanity and the possibility of reconciliation or simply of understanding, which are the first steps to making peace.”

“Our (writers’) aim is to reach the reader’s imagination, have an effect on the nervous systems of other people,” Toibin, 62, said in a statement in response to winning the award.

“Good sentences offer us a way to imagine life in all its strangeness and ambiguity and possibility, alert us to the power of the imagination to transform and transcend our nature, offer us a blueprint not only for who we are but for who we might be, who we might become,” he said.

Previous winners include Studs Terkel, Taylor Branch, Gloria Steinem, and Elie Wiesel.

The award carries a $10,000 cash prize. Finalists for the Dayton Literary Peace Prize in fiction and nonfiction will be announced Sept. 13.

Police release arrest video of Washington

SHARONVILLE — Police in Ohio on Wednesday released cruiser and body cam video of the arrest of Buffalo Bills defensive tackle Adolphus Washington on a weapons charge.

The Cincinnati native and former Ohio State standout is accused of improperly carrying a concealed weapon outside a water park in Sharonville. A police report says officers were breaking up a crowd at the park Sunday night when Washington “reached for and displayed a gun while sitting inside his vehicle, just feet away from officers.”

The video shows Washington in his vehicle, with officers surrounding him and shouting at him to “put the gun down.”

Washington is later seen in a cruiser with an officer asking him: “Why in the hell would you have that gun in your hands?”

He replied that he was “putting it away.”

Washington was processed at the Sharonville Police Department and released that night. Court records do not list an attorney for him.

The Buffalo Bills released a statement Monday night saying they were aware of the situation and had been in contact with Washington.

The Bills have been off on break since mid-June before players begin reporting for training camp, which opens July 27.

Washington is due in court in Hamilton County on July 24th.

Man accused of posing as cop pleads not guilty

AKRON — An Ohio man accused of handcuffing children while impersonating a police officer conducting a “scared straight” program has pleaded not guilty to charges including kidnapping.

The Akron Beacon Journal (http://bit.ly/2tMVLMZ ) reports 26-year-old Christopher Hendon pleaded not guilty this week in a Summit County court to charges that also include abduction, assault and endangering children. He also is charged with impersonating a police officer, criminal trespass and carrying a gun into the county juvenile detention center.

County sheriff’s detectives say they began investigating in April after learning Hendon tried to take handcuffed children into the juvenile detention center. Investigators say he also tried to bring children into the jail and courthouse and visited schools while armed and posing as a police officer.

Hendon’s attorney says Hendon was trying to help children.

Man sentenced to life in prison

CLEVELAND — A man found guilty in a drive-by shooting that killed a 3-year-old Ohio boy in 2015 has been sentenced to life in prison.

A jury found 24-year-old Donnell Lindsey guilty June 12 on charges that include murder and attempted murder in the Sept. 15, 2015 shooting that killed 3-year-old Major Howard and injured a woman.

The boy and the woman were sitting in a parked car in Cleveland when a car full of men drove by and fired at gang members gathered at a nearby vigil. Major was struck in the chest and pronounced dead at a nearby hospital.

Lindsey proclaimed his innocence at the sentencing hearing Wednesday, calling his case “hearsay.”

The judge sentenced Lindsey to life in prison with eligibility for parole after 37 years.

Teen charged with killing man who broke up fight

CLEVELAND (AP) — Authorities say a 19-year-old man has been arrested and charged with aggravated murder for killing a man who had tried to break up a fight at a Cleveland city park.

Cleveland.com reports Lawrence Harris, of Cleveland, was arrested Wednesday by U.S. Marshals for the fatal shooting of 27-year-old Aramis Roey last month. Roey was playing basketball with two nephews when the fight broke out. Police say Roey walked away when Harris then challenged him to fight. Police say Harris shot Roey twice after Roey returned to retrieve belongings and fired a third round into Roey’s body after he fell to the ground. Police say the gun, ammunition and suspected crack cocaine were found in Harris’ car.

Court records don’t indicate whether Harris has an attorney.