By Cody Willoughby
TROY — Renovation plans are moving forward on the parlor ceiling at the Troy-Hayner Cultural Center.
On the afternoon of Friday, Dec. 15 the plaster ceiling in the second floor room gave way at the center, resulting in damage to furnishings and decorations throughout the room.
The cause of the collapse was reportedly a combination of factors.
“After they surveyed it, they believe the collapse happened due to both weight and activity,” said assistant director David Wion. “The building had a small fire in the 1930s, and the materials used to repair that were very heavy. The plaster they put up was about 3 inches thick. Combine that with decades of activity in the house, particularly in the third-floor ballroom, and the plaster just gave way.”
Two antique lamps and end tables were destroyed in the collapse, along with damage to two high-back fireplace chairs and an original-to-house bedroom chair first owned by Mrs. Hayner. Damage to the room’s oriental rug is still being assessed.
After meeting with structural engineers and general contractors about the collapsed ceiling, it was determined that all the plaster in the parlor should come down, so that new plaster could be installed from scratch. Installation is scheduled to begin on Tuesday, Jan. 2.
A date to reopen the room to the public has not yet been established.
“It’ll be at least two weeks,” said Wion. “However, damaged furnishings will take longer to restore, plus finding replacement period furnishings as needed to replace destroyed items. It’s a process.”
Reach Cody Willoughby at firstname.lastname@example.org.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU