In over their heads

Mike Ullery | Daily Call A pickup truck sits submerged in the Stillwater River, off St. Rt. 48 just south of Fenner Road early Tuesday morning. The truck became stuck and filled with water as a pair of young men were apparently “four-wheeling” during a strong thunderstorm that caused flooding. The boys were both able to get free of the truck safely.

Pleasant Hill firefighters and a pair of witnesses emerge from a wooded area between St. Rt. 48 and the Stillwater River early Tuesday morning during a search for two boys who were involved in stranding a pickup truck in the river.

Mike Ullery

NEWTON TOWNSHIP – Two boys are safe this morning but the pickup truck that they were driving did not fare as well.

Authorities were called to the Stillwater River at State Route 48 and Fenner Road just after 1 a.m. on Tuesday morning on a report of a truck submerged in the rushing waters.

Miami County Sheriff’s Deputies and Pleasant Hill firefighters and rescue squad, including a boat team, responded to the scene and began to search.

The truck was located on the west bank of the river, approximately a quarter-mile south of Fenner Road.

As search teams were planning their strategy, deputies were talking to witnesses and attempting to find out if the truck’s occupants had escaped the vehicle, which was submerged to the roof.

Contact was made with the parents of one of the occupants and it was learned that the boys escaped the vehicle and had called friends or parents for a ride home without contacting authorities.

It is believed that the driver and passenger may have been “four-wheeling” near the river when they became stuck and nearly trapped by the fast-rising waters following a Monday evening thunderstorm that dumped 2-4 inches of rain across Miami County, sparked tornado warnings, followed by flash-flood warnings throughout the area.

Sheriff’s deputies are investigating the incident. There were no injuries reported. The names and ages of the involved parties has not been released.

Pleasant Hill first responders cleared the scene around 2:30 a.m.