TROY — The Parks and Recreation Committee approved to allow the Troy Strawberry Festival to use the downtown and levee areas for the June 3-4 event.
Director of Public Service and Safety Patrick Titterington said the request is nearly the same as three years prior, with the exception of the costs.
“There really is nothing material that has changed with the exception that after reassessing the city’s cost opposed to what the Strawberry Festival organization can do, we are able to reduce the amount that they (Troy Strawberry Festival) will write a check to us in excess of the baseline for $5,000 from approximately $7,000 from last year,” Titterington said.
The Troy Strawberry Festival will pay the city $5,000 prior to the event in June, according to the committee report.
Titterington said the festival plans on closing down streets as previous years, yet that will be delayed further this year due to concerns from local businesses. The festival also uses the levee area as well as the Public Square for the event.
“They have open access a little longer than the past, but again, we are streamlining things and working closely with the Strawberry Festival,” he said.
Committee chair Brock Heath asked what factors led to the city reducing the cost for the festival.
Titterington said as the festival has been held downtown for the last few years, the need for staffing needs have been lowered. The festival organization has also picked up the tab for related costs as well, he said.
Festival changes such as no car show will also reduce the need for support services. City services include electrical, operational, trash services and other needs.
“We are able to streamline what we need on site and prep work because we’ve been doing it long enough that we got it down as well,” he said. “Operations costs, electrical costs, some of the contract services costs such as trash hauling and renting certain things that will go straight through the festival where it may have gone through us before.”
The cost does not reduce fire or police services for the festival, Titterington said.
Both Heath and committee member Doug Tremblay said the move to downtown has been a positive one for the festival and its thousands of visitors.
The committee agreed to move forward with a positive recommendation to council.
Follow Melanie Yingst on Twitter @Troydailynews